You have not known what you are.
You have slumbered upon yourself all your life.
Your eyes have been as much as closed most of the time.
What you have done is already in mockeries.

The mockeries are not you.
Underneath them
And within them,
I see you lurk...


-Walt Whitman



26.8.10

i sort of disappear...


Just one last question. Can I ask you, Billy: What does it feel like when you're dancing?

Don't know. Sort of feels good. It's sort of stiff and that...but once I get going...then I, like, forget everything...and...sort of disappear. I sort of disappear. Like I feel a change in me whole body. Like there's a fire in me body. I'm just there...flying...like a bird. Like electricity. Yeah...like electricity.



Billy Elliot (2000) by Stephen Daltry
Rotten Tomatoes Rating: 85%

Synopsis: The life of a miner's son in Northern England is forever changed one day when he stumbles upon a ballet class on his way to boxing lessons. Joining the class and keeping it a secret from his widowed father and overbearing brother, 11-year-old Billy finds himself in dance, demonstrating the kind of raw talent seldom seen by the class's exacting instructor, Mrs. Wilkinson. She encourages him to try out for the Royal Ballet. But when his father and brother find out and forbid him to continue, Billy is torn between his responsibility to his family and to the gift with which he has been blessed. His overwhelming desire to dance has become much more to him that simply a means of self-expression. It is his passion and it is his destiny.


--

Watched it again! This film never fails to make me feel good. First saw it when I was just a freshman in High School and ever since then, it became the most moving film I've ever seen. When I watch it I always find myself saying- How I wish I could just be like Elliot, and be able to dance everything away...(Too bad my limbs are pathologically uncoordinated. Cerebellar injury- that's a good differential diagnosis! Haha!)




1 comment:

duke said...

watch it on broadway. you'll be in awe. :)