You have not known what you are.
You have slumbered upon yourself all your life.
Your eyes have been as much as closed most of the time.
What you have done is already in mockeries.

The mockeries are not you.
Underneath them
And within them,
I see you lurk...


-Walt Whitman



29.12.10

the real glee

The Sing-Off is an all-vocals singing competition that features top caliber a capella groups from various states in America. If you’re a Glee fan or have been a member of a chorale group, I think this is the perfect show to sink your ears into.

I spent my Christmas afternoon doing a season 2 marathon of the show with my brother… and it was a good 7-hour eargasmic experience of tight harmonies, fun, powerful and emotionally-rivetting numbers. The witty arrangements and choreography threw me back to my High School days when I used to be a member of the school choir. I miss the friendships bound by the desire to make good music.

The season only had 5 episodes but the quality of the performances could topple the much commercialized American Idol, I dare say. I am really quite surprised that they didn’t expand its format and the show as a whole. Oh well, I’m pretty sure it’s a matter of economics and station popularity. Hays.

One of the good performances (and I tell you they’re all good), was their group performance of 21 Guns by Greenday. I like the theatrical variation…



But my all-time favorite group performance was the Top 8’s rendition of Use Somebody by Kings of Leon. I am a KoL fan and I say the Sing-Off version is way better than the original-and they did it without any instruments, just pure, raw, and adulterated vocals :)



The Sing-Off is an annual deal that usually airs before the Christmas holidays. I can’t wait for the next season!







1 comment: