You have not known what you are.
You have slumbered upon yourself all your life.
Your eyes have been as much as closed most of the time.
What you have done is already in mockeries.

The mockeries are not you.
Underneath them
And within them,
I see you lurk...


-Walt Whitman



2.3.11

a robot lovestory


Francesca: Do not do that!

Sheldon: I'm gonna do it!

Francesca: NO DON'T!

Sheldon: I'M GONNA DO IT!!

Francesca: I'm not asking for this.

Sheldon: Okay.

Francesca: Don't I have a choice?

Sheldon: No, you don't. Because I had a dream last night and in my dream, you needed a leg and everyone in the dream was trying to give you that leg but I really wanted you to have mine. In my dream, you picked my leg. You made me so happy. It was the best dream in the history of dreams.

Spike Jonze's I'm Here (2010) is a 30-minute short about the love story between two robots- the timid Sheldon (Andrew Garfield) who works in a library and the cool, free-spirited Francesca (Sienna Guillory). Set in a universe where humans and robots coexist, I'm Here is a bittersweet testimony of how love works within the fragility of life; in a world where everything is bound to be broken. It is a tender portrayal of sacrifice and boundless courage for love despite impossible circumstances. For in the end, love is what you take home with you.

The song There Are many Of Us by Aska Matsumiya just perfectly captures the sweet melancholic essence of the film, along with a very delectable sountrack which includes artists like Sleigh Bells, Gui Boratto, Christopher Owens, and The Lost Trees.

I love short films because they are short. Downside is, they're very hard to find since most of them rarely makes the mainstream media. I am glad I stumbled upon this one. Heart-breaking, and hopeful, I'm Here is a neat slice of love captured in film. It's the best robot love story ever... :)




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

robot love story! cool! i like short films too. i have very short attention span so short films rock!

Eli said...

:') I love this, I really really do