You have not known what you are.
You have slumbered upon yourself all your life.
Your eyes have been as much as closed most of the time.
What you have done is already in mockeries.

The mockeries are not you.
Underneath them
And within them,
I see you lurk...


-Walt Whitman



16.4.10

AI S9: Top 9 [Two Birds With One Stone]


AND BECAUSE THE JUDGES invoked their sole save for the entire competition last week, two semifinalists were sent home yesterday—Andrew and Katie. Based on their performances, I think they deserved to be cast off from the competition. Andrew gave a very old-fashioned performance. It’s too bad because I know how talented he is. However, he is not that versatile. Elvis Week was just miles away from his music style. He didn’t try to give a current twist on a classic Elvis song sending the audience at the edge of boredom. Katie on the other hand, obviously has gained confidence through the course of the competition. Her vocals this week was good but it sounded a little whiny and nasally, I think. It felt short given that everyone had stepped up.

Elvis Week. I am not crazy about Elvis’ songs so I’m a little half-hearted with the performances. Crystal in my opinion is becoming a little predictable. I don’t know. She always gives a solid performance with crazy vocals but maybe she’s lacking a little bit of charisma. Aaron took on an Elvis classic. He gave a country twang into it but it didn’t sound very relevant. I love Siobhan’s personality but her last performance was just OK. She went with her shrieks but it didn’t quite work. I actually thought she would be a part of the Bottom 3 this week. Casey went back to his blues roots but it fell really short and flat. I think he should choose songs that would challenge his vocal range. The blues-y songs he chooses lacks lengths in octaves for his voice.

I really like the stripped performances this week. I can’t believe I’m saying this but Tim is really growing on me. Sticking with his guitar and singing the beautifully melodic song Can’t Help Falling In Love was a clever move. He really played the guitar really well. The arrangement and twists in the melody of the song was perfect. He sang it with an unadulterated voice and it sounded heartfelt and honest. It was his best performance so far. Big Mike’s acoustic rendition of In The Getto is just simply beautiful. Listening to a beautiful song delivered with that big, fluid, rifting voice was just a delight. That’s the kind of music I love to listen to when I just bask on my bed thinking about nothing.

Lee Dewyze is my official bet to win this season. I love the thickness and quality of his tone and so far, he’s successful in making the songs he chooses sound current. I can see that he’s pushing himself week after week and each performance is now being delivered with conviction. The shy personality works for him I think. It somehow gives an element of surprise. I don’t know. I admire people who are really good at something and don’t even know it. Needless to say, he gave the bomb this week given I don’t like the song. :P

Inspirational songs will be featured next week. Now that’s way better! And there’s Idol Gives Back. Grool!

2 comments:

Glampinoy said...

Many times I ask myself if there is something I am good at but never knew it.

Anyway, good luck to all the AI contestants.

ahmer said...

Lee and Crystal sila bet ko for the finals : )