You have not known what you are.
You have slumbered upon yourself all your life.
Your eyes have been as much as closed most of the time.
What you have done is already in mockeries.

The mockeries are not you.
Underneath them
And within them,
I see you lurk...


-Walt Whitman



3.1.11

choose love



I had been itching to download and watch Mark Romanek's Never Let Me Go (2010) starring Andrew Garfield (The Social Network), Carey Mulligan (An Education), and Keira Knightly (Atonement). I was taken aback by the incredibly cheesy title at first but the cast is just undeniably superb and the movie got a fair Rotten Tomatoes review. That's why I opted to watch it.

I think Never Let Me Go is one of those movies you will like not because of the actual content but because of the stunning photography (same thing goes with The Girl With A Pearl Earring, 2003, by Peter Weber). The locations were so dream-like and fit into the general serene and melancholic mood of the film supported by great musical scoring. I am not a fan of dystopian films, but I like the way they treated the material. They did not make it futuristic (I guess that's the way Ishiguro's book, from which it was adapted, delivered it) but clings to a setting to that of Atonement. I do not particularly liked the central idea to which the film revolves but the acting really carried the whole thing through.

In a life with very few choices, choose love- very simple, yet very powerful. I think that's what this film's all about.




No comments: