You have not known what you are.
You have slumbered upon yourself all your life.
Your eyes have been as much as closed most of the time.
What you have done is already in mockeries.

The mockeries are not you.
Underneath them
And within them,
I see you lurk...


-Walt Whitman



31.1.11

nick's poetry


Nicholas walked along the aisle, his footsteps bouncing off the silence of the room tainted with murmurs from his classmates. He was hesitant of course to share what's he's written. They wouldn't understand. Not those idiots. But still he walked forward, faced the class and sat on the teacher's table. He took a breath and opened his mouth...


Day burns down to night,

Burns the edge of my soul

In the night I break into sparks of suns

And becomes fire and the dust of bones


Night knifes my breaths,

Swallows whole my tongue

Turn back

Reverse

Return


In the night I see the real

Concealed in the day's bright lie

Eyes stitched shut

White teeth smile

Sleep walks and talks

And feet mark time to the drumless beat.




---

I couldn't take much off of the movie The Invisible (2007) by David Goyer except for this haunting piece of poetry and Deathcab For Cutie's I'll Follow You Into The Dark in its soundtrack.




No comments: